Brainstorm – initiatives and resources to influence local & statewide campaign finance reform
- Wolfpack.com re anti-corruption
- Represent.US re “American Anti-Corruption Act” (AACA).
- Next Represent.US meeting is at Green Field’s Market, March 6, 6-8:30 PM
- Free speech for people
- Fair share tax on millionaires;
- Fair vote.com – ranked choice voting;An Act providing a local option for ranked choice voting in city or town elections S. 380; Local meeting Tuesday, February 28th from 7-8:30 PM at Brushworks Arts & Industry Building, 221 Pine St., Florence, MA 01062
- “We the People Act” HD 1991 and SD 476
- Elect progressive delegates from each town to the Democratic State Convention, June 3, in Lowell. FCCPR will likely hold a meeting to vote/recommend platform language
Discussion: Target one of the following issues as a group, or prioritize several. Which ones?
1) Represent.US: get town resolutions in support of AACA; model ™ articles available.
2) “We the People Act” MA HD 1991 and SD 476. Massachusetts proposes an amendment to the US Constitution that would affirm:
a) Protected rights … are the rights of natural persons, (humans, not corporations, etc);
b) Congress and the states shall place limits on political contributions and expenditures to ensure that all citizens have access to the political process;
c) Spending of money to influence elections is not protected free speech under the First Amendment
This can be done through a limited Constitutional Convention for the exclusive purpose of addressing concerns raised by Citizens United v. FEC, McCutcheon v. FEC and related decisions, when 33 other states submit petitions for the same purpose…
3) Ranked Choice Voting, MA SD380
Any city or town may conduct a local election using ranked choice voting in which voters rank the candidates for an office in order of preference…
4) General agreement on importance to reach out to GCC students once our focus is determined.
- Focus on bills already filed in the state legislature, as well as American Anti-Corruption Act
- Research legislation’s language; its co-sponsors, do local legislators support them?
- Pursue warrant articles at town meetings to pass resolutions in support of American Anti-corruption Act and/or Citizens United
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 7-8:30 p.m., 43 Garage Road, Sunderland 01375
AGENDA: Updates on action items, prioritize future work, task force outreach